A number of freshwater fish receive protection under the following legislation under:
- The Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981 (as amended)
- The Conservation of Habitat and Species Regulations 2010
- Salmon and Freshwater Fisheries Act 1975 (amended)
- Eels (England and Wales) Regulations 2009
The UKs freshwater systems are also regulated through:
- The Water Environment (Water Framework Directive) (England and Wales) Regulations 2003
When do I need to get in touch?
If your project is to affect a waterway it should always be assessed for protected species and for any effects to fresh water species such as fish.
If you need any invertebrate biological water quality assessments we can also provide this service.
How can EcoNorth help me?
We advise you on aquatic protection and your options. We undertake all types of surveys and mitigation. We apply best practice guidelines along with our in depth knowledge of UK ecology, habitat requirements and present the results in our detailed professional reports to inform and support your project planning application or other consenting process.